Mashed Buttons

Critical opinions on games and gaming culture. By me.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Getting Play

So this week as I mentioned alot of indy games have been getting play.

One in particular, Toribash , stands out. It has kept me up until the wee hours of the morning on a few occasions.

Its a physics heavy ragdoll driven turn based fighting game. If you think the name of the genre is complicated, wait until you play the game. Its like the calculus of fighting games. Each turn the player carefully instructs his character by telling each muscle whether to contract, extend, hold still, or relax. The amount of planning that goes into each kick, punch, or headbutt is insane. I still am only able to make my character do a simple forward kick or punch before they topple over from a lack of balance. You have to try it to understand the complexity... but once you know the game well its incredibly rewarding when after 10 tries your character finally executes a dismembering kick or decapitating elbow strike. Check out some insane highlight reels... and keep in mind how complicated it is to even make your character stand up properly.





I rented Spiderman 3 for XBOX 360, which is almost exactly the same as Spiderman 1, just with fancier graphics and voicework. Pretty disappointing.

Me and Nicolle got our Blood Elves up to lvl 29 in WoW. /cheer.

I downloaded Legend of the Mystical Ninja from the Wii Virtual Console store. I loved this game as a kid and over a decade later it still holds up.

Wii sports is still getting played when there are guests over. I got my replacement Wii Mote in the mail so two player tennis is the game of choice. Still waiting for my replacement straps. Should I try a dye job to color coordinate them?


Anyhow.. thats about all thats Getting Play around here. Till the next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home