Mashed Buttons

Critical opinions on games and gaming culture. By me.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Starcraft 2

SOoooooo they announced it.

I was up at 4 AM watching the IGN live Blog of the event as it unfolded.

And yeah.. its been a few days since then without a post about what could be one of the most talked about unveiling's in a while. But theres a reason for that... and its because SC2's unveiling was entirely underwhelming.

Am I excited about SC2? Hell yeah! But I just dont think that this much hype should go into what has boiled down to a few screenshots and a lengthy gameplay video. The graphics they showed are nothing dazzling, but Blizzard has always been very good about keeping system requirements within the reach of most computers, so I cant blame them there.

I guess I feel that if they were gonna hype the event up this much that they shouldve at least given us a release date. I cant help but to feel that this is going to be another two year wait for a product that I wouldve been much better off just not knowing about.

There seems to be a few different routes that companies go. Some trickle out pieces of information and information about gameplay mechanics and innovations (like peter molyneux with Fable 2), others keep things completely under the radar until release, like Command and Conquer 3 (maybe they released some press stuff.. but it was under MY radar), or they can go the shrouded hypebeast route that Rockstar seems to be so fond of. At least when Rockstar does it they give us a release date before they start tempting us with game footage and teasers.

is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the SC2 release?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home